Monday, April 14, 2008

Mike Technique

I took the second part of my mike technique class on Saturday, and it was awesome. It was held at Sunburst Recording Studios like the first session, and we finally got past theory and to actually working with the microphones. I learned that for recording, my voice sounds best by far on a condenser microphone. The best effect we got was on a $3,000 Neumann condenser mike, but a decent second choice was an AKG model, because not all studios are going to have the premium one. We also tried me on ribbon and dynamic microphones, but the condenser mike really brought something out that the others did not. I have an alto voice that's slightly breathy but is strong on the lower notes, and the Neumann really captured all of its qualities. I sang an original song, This Is My Gift For You, that I wrote a while back in NYC, and everyone liked it, and liked my singing voice, which was nice to hear.

To hear a demo soundfile of This Is My Gift For You, please go to: http://www.fleurdamour.us/SOUND.html

No comments: